This creamy breakfast polenta is absolutely perfect on a cold winter’s day or make that any day when it comes to our boys who just love warm breakfast bowls. Very unlike their mom, who cannot go without her Jet Lag Granola fix!
As with most good things in life, this dish takes some time to make. Think ‘slow food’. So, set it aside for a slow weekend or morning when you don’t feel rushed.
Omit the vanilla for a savoury option to accompany any warm stew, bolognaise or – our personal favourite! – in place of ‘mieliepap’ for the classic South African dish ‘pap en wors’.
Creamy Breakfast Polenta
- Measure out the polenta and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot, bring the water to the boil.
- Add the salt.
- As soon as the water starts to bubble, grab your whisk in your dominant hand and the cup of dry polenta in the other hand.
- Start to whisk the water slowly while gradually pouring the polenta into the water.
- Keep whisking until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Turn down the heat.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Whisk the mixture at 3 – 4 minute intervals for about 15 minutes.
- Your polenta is cooked when you don’t taste any granules.
- Mix in the butter and vanilla.
- Turn off the heat.
- Place the lid on and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture into the bowls and add your favourite toppings.
Please remember to tag me in your Facebook and Instagram posts when you make your own version of breakfast polenta. Something like fresh raspberries and crunchy pistachios would make for a gorgeous looking bowl…so many options! Make it your own!
Let’s keep encouraging each other to fuel ourselves and our families with Good Eats for good, healthy living!